Arab League criticizes allied airstrikes on Libya
CAIRO – The head of the Arab League has criticized international strikes on Libya, saying they caused civilian deaths.
The Arab League's support for a no-fly zone last week helped overcome reluctance in the West for action in Libya. The U.N. authorized not only a no-fly zone but also "all necessary measures" to protect civilians.
Amr Moussa says the military operations have gone beyond what the Arab League backed.
Moussa has told reporters Sunday that "what happened differs from the no-fly zone objectives." He says "what we want is civilians' protection not shelling more civilians."
U.S. and European strikes overnight targeted mainly air defenses, the U.S. military said. Libya says 48 people were killed, including civilians.
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Pope leads Easter mass at Vatican
- Underwater search for Malaysia plane could end within a week
- Russia writes off 90% of N.Korea debt
- NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
- 14 killed in Syria mosque blast
- Algeria's ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital