China calls for immediate cease-fire in Libya
BEIJING – China called Tuesday for an immediate cease-fire in Libya where the U.S. and European nations have launched punishing airstrikes to enforce a U.N. no-fly zone.
All parties must "immediately cease fire and resolve issues through peaceful means," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said at a regularly scheduled news conference, citing unconfirmed reports that the airstrikes had caused civilian deaths.
China was one of five countries that abstained from last week's vote on the U.N. resolution to allow "all necessary measures" to stop Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's assault on rebel-held towns. It was approved with the backing of the United States, France and Britain.
Beijing has been sharply critical of the airstrikes that hit Libyan air defenses and forces for a third night Monday. The Foreign Ministry registered "serious reservations" about the resolution, and on Monday the country's most important political newspaper compared the Western airstrikes against Libya to the U.S.-led invasions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
In places such as Iraq "the unspeakable suffering of its people are a mirror and a warning," the Communist Party's flagship newspaper, People's Daily, said in a commentary.
China has historically opposed foreign military interventions as part of its long-standing policy of staying out of countries' internal affairs.
Jiang said China, one of five veto-wielding permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, only opted not to oppose the resolution out of consideration for the support shown for the measure among Arab and African nations.
North Korea also Tuesday urged an immediate halt to the airstrikes. An unidentified Foreign Ministry spokesman said they were a "wanton violation" of Libya's sovereignty and a "hideous crime against humanity."
The spokesman also accused the United States of wanting regime change in Libya and control of its natural resources. The comments were carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.
- Canada vows tougher laws as citizens worry in face of attacks
- Governor of Mexican state where students disappeared stands down
- WHO: Millions of Ebola vaccine doses ready in 2015
- Two US states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones
- Venezuelans brace for slump in oil prices
- Queen sends her first tweet, signed 'Elizabeth R'
- UEFA punishes Serbia, Albania for stadium disorder
- Kurds reject Erdogan report of deal with Syrian rebels to aid Kobani
- Brazil's president widens lead in polls ahead of Sunday vote
- U.N. rights watchdog calls for open elections in Hong Kong