Death toll in triple Baghdad bombings jumps to 34
Iraqi officials say the death toll from a string of blasts in a Shiite neighborhood in southwestern Baghdad has jumped to 34.
Two police officials said the bombs targeted a Shiite mosque as well as a market Thursday evening.
The officials said that 82 people were also injured in the explosions.
Officials from the hospitals where the dead and injured were taken confirmed the casualty figures.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Sunni extremists such as al-Qaida in Iraq generally tend to target Shiite mosques and neighborhoods.
- Prosecutors: Crash pilot showed suicidal tendencies in past
- Iran nuclear talks race towards deadline
- Cameron announces start of UK election campaign
- EU on Turkish security bill: Universal rights standards must be upheld
- 58 Twitter users prosecuted for criticizing Turkish state-run news agency
- Saudi Arabia pounds Yemen rebel camps
- IPI report: Democracy ’at risk’ in Turkey
- Muiznieks condemns sentence against cartoonists, urges Turkey to decriminalize defamation
- Saudi Arabia launches strikes on Yemen rebels
- Amanda Knox to learn fate in Italy murder conviction