Death toll in triple Baghdad bombings jumps to 34
Iraqi officials say the death toll from a string of blasts in a Shiite neighborhood in southwestern Baghdad has jumped to 34.
Two police officials said the bombs targeted a Shiite mosque as well as a market Thursday evening.
The officials said that 82 people were also injured in the explosions.
Officials from the hospitals where the dead and injured were taken confirmed the casualty figures.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Sunni extremists such as al-Qaida in Iraq generally tend to target Shiite mosques and neighborhoods.
- Turkey shoots down Russian warplane near Syria border
- Putin calls Turkey’s downing of Russian jet ‘stab in the back’
- Turkey to UN: Russian planes violated our airspace
- New AK Party Cabinet staffed by Erdoğan loyalists
- Turkey's businesses call for reform to maintain judicial independence
- Belgian soldiers patrol Brussels during lockdown
- AK Party’s Kahraman elected new speaker of Parliament
- US House passes bill to slow Syrian refugees
- New regulation allows closure of critical universities
- CHP leader slams unlawful trustee appointments to leading companies