Death toll in triple Baghdad bombings jumps to 34
Iraqi officials say the death toll from a string of blasts in a Shiite neighborhood in southwestern Baghdad has jumped to 34.
Two police officials said the bombs targeted a Shiite mosque as well as a market Thursday evening.
The officials said that 82 people were also injured in the explosions.
Officials from the hospitals where the dead and injured were taken confirmed the casualty figures.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Sunni extremists such as al-Qaida in Iraq generally tend to target Shiite mosques and neighborhoods.
- N. Korea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- EU's Ashton: Yanukovych wants to sign EU deal
- Interpreter says he hallucinated during Mandela memorial service
- Mexican Congress approves historic energy bill
- Catalonia sets independence referendum date
- Bangladesh executes opposition leader
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- IOC president Bach pushes new Olympic agenda
- After Newtown, focus of U.S. gun control battle shifts to states
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year