Death toll in triple Baghdad bombings jumps to 34
Iraqi officials say the death toll from a string of blasts in a Shiite neighborhood in southwestern Baghdad has jumped to 34.
Two police officials said the bombs targeted a Shiite mosque as well as a market Thursday evening.
The officials said that 82 people were also injured in the explosions.
Officials from the hospitals where the dead and injured were taken confirmed the casualty figures.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Sunni extremists such as al-Qaida in Iraq generally tend to target Shiite mosques and neighborhoods.
- Court issues confidentiality order after bombing in Ankara
- China issues travel warnings for Turkey after Ankara bombing
- Davutoğlu: Turkey ready to discuss political solution in Syria
- Princeton’s Angus Deaton wins 2015 Nobel Prize in Economics
- Syria troops advance under Russian air cover
- Turkish journalist Bülent Keneş arrested on charge of ‘insulting’ Erdoğan
- Tunisian democracy group wins Nobel Peace Prize
- Pentagon abandons program training Syrian rebels
- US pulling out Patriot missile batteries from Turkey
- FIFA suspends Blatter and Platini for 90 days